Hi Gerard and all,

This is a great topic, and one we think about often as the Communications
team. In the past 2 years in fact, the Communications team has
intentionally grown to better support Wikimedia project awareness
and usage, including through new hires and approaches.

We generally use words like audience development, outreach, and awareness
rather than "marketing," but it's a similar (and some may argue the same)
idea. Of course, we're not a traditional organization or movement, so we
need to adapt based on the fact that we're not "selling" anything. Instead,
we're driven by our mission and commitment to Wikimedia values and
communities. In short, the objective is to systematically grow audiences
for Wikimedia in a mission-aligned way, using research, media (digital or
otherwise), campaigns, and messaging.

We've hired people with specific experience in marketing and
communications, including in audience growth, social media, branding, and
awareness. You can learn more about our team here: https://meta.wikimedia.
org/wiki/Communications. For more on our team's work, see this year's
Annual Plan: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
Annual_Plan/2016-2017/revised#Communications. This area of [insert industry
term of your choice here] is relatively new for the Foundation and we still
have plenty of room to grow. But we're optimistic that in collaboration
with the community we can help grow future Wikimedia audiences.

Finally, we're interested in continuing to partner with community members
and affiliates. We often collaborate with affiliates on campaigns (for
example, around Wikipedia 15 <https://15.wikipedia.org/>), conduct
trainings at events, and have recently further developed the Communications
resource center: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/
Communications/Resource_center

In short, we are completely with you, and if you have ideas and questions
about raising project awareness and usage, we'd love to talk.

Yours,
*The Wikimedia Foundation Communications Department*

*Heather Walls  *
Wikimedia Foundation
annual.wikimedia.org <https://annual.wikimedia.org/2014/>