Hi Chris and Lodewijk,

I was asked to follow up here on the questions from October about
country-by-country fundraising data.

We make fundraising decisions, including decisions about what information
we release, based in part on our internal legal assessments in the country.
We don't go into our legal assessments publicly, as it may make it
difficult to keep legal risks and costs low.

We strive to be as open about our fundraising activities as we can.
Compared to nonprofit industry standards, we release more information than
other non-profits tend to, including continent-level breakdowns of
donations, information about revenue channels and testing, and reports from
our fundraising research:

- https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2015-2016_Fundraising_Report

- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_
Reader_Survey_November_2015.pdf

I’m sorry that we can’t give more satisfying answers to your questions, but
in this case we have determined that publishing the requested information
would not be in the best interest of the Wikimedia movement or Foundation.

--
Stephen LaPorte
Senior Legal Counsel

*NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*