+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Chris Koerner
Sent: Monday, 21 November 2016 5:52 PM
To: wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Discussion about proposed Technical Code of Conduct
(TCC)

I'm speaking as a volunteer, not as WMF staff, if that matters to you.

Adrian Raddatz wrote:
> It should be pretty darn easy to make a policy on user interactions
> within technical spaces. There is certainly a practice which is
> already followed, so just codify it and call it a guideline or a
> generally accepted
document.
> I would certainly support a page that people can read to find our
> expectations for interactions, and what happens if you're naughty.

That's what a Code of Conduct is. :)

It would be wonderful if it were as easy as you describe, but it hasn't proven
to be.

It's taking longer because the WMF/Board did not initially take the approach of
applying this 'top-down' style to the technical spaces.Those of us who have
been involved (some, like myself before we became staff) want to do it with
community involvement and with thoughtful discussion. Are we going to get it
right the first time around? No, maybe not. Are we trying to design something
with thoughtfulness and flexibility? Yes.

MZMcBride wrote:
> And if we disregard any application of common sense, then yes, you
> could argue that a technical code of conduct is needed.

One could also argue that a disregard for common sense is exactly what permits
individuals to violate our shared expectations of community behavior.

Yours,
Chris Koerner
clkoerner.com