"Rogol",

As you may have noticed, threaded discussions become difficult for me to
visually navigate after a while. Thus, the color.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Rogol Domedonfors <domedonf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anna
>

> > To be clear, I’m engaged in understanding your perspective. I’m
> > not promising to do any specific thing at this time. I like understanding
> > problems and wondering how we might solve seemingly complicated ones in
> > simple ways. It’s kind of a sickness.
> >

> Got it, thanks for asking.
>

> > > So for example, in the
> > > field of software planning one might expect that an engagement between
> > > members of the community with an interest in and experience of software
> > > issues as they affect contributors, and the WMF management developing
> the
> > > software roadmap would be effective.
> >

> > I think I understand your point here, but I'd like to be sure that I do.
> > Let’s take your software example (though other forms of work may also
> > clearly apply). Are you saying that they should co-conceive of what to
> > build (a la Community Tech)? Or are you saying once something is decided
> > upon
> > they consult members on how to build it?  Or are you saying both?
> >

> I am saying that co-creation is more than the Community proposing bright
> ideas at the tactical level, while the Foundation decides strategy in some
> ivory tower.  I am proposing that Community and Foundation engage at the
> strategic level.

I now understand your perspective.

Call me naive, but I’m excited by the prospect of the movement strategy
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017>. I know
that many other things will need to happen to arrive at the state that you
speak of, but thinking together at that scale is likely a good start in my
mind.  It might even be a necessary but insufficient pre-requisite for the
kind of collaboration you speak of.

> To take a couple of exmples: The WMF decided to do a lot
> of work on Gather, a social media addon for Wikipedia.  Early consultation
> would have revealed that this ran completely counter to the
> English-language Wikipedia community's policy that Wikipedia is not a
> social media site; that the curation that the add-on required was extra
> work the community had no desire to do; and that the technical
> implementation made it all but impossible to do that work satisfactorily
> even if it had been consistent the the community policy and practice.

Very useful context. I see your point.

> Another example: suppose the community comes to believe that the projects
> really need support for some major extension to the knowledge representable
> by linear Ascii text, such as music, dance, mathematics, hieroglyphics,
> genomics, railway networks, family trees, climate change, phonetics, ...
> .This is way beyond the Community Tech ambit and requires a lot of
> collaborative consideration, scoping, costing and planning.  It would also
> require a Roadmap, see below.

Thank you. You’ve clearly answered my question about how it is different.
Very useful.

> The current notion being instantiated in the proposed Technical guidelines
> is very much about a wise and benevolent Foundation steering its ideas
> through a reluctant community.  That is frankly insufficient.

Would you direct me to those Technical guidelines? I don’t know the
reference and I should.

> > > I do hope the WMF decides to try that
> > > some time.
> >

> > How is what you are proposing different from Community Tech? That’s not a
> > challenge, that's genuine inquiry. Is it that what you are proposing is
> not
> > like Community Tech *in kind *or that Community Tech has just not
> achieved
> > *the
> > scale* you would like to see (e.g. are you hoping that we would build
> > everything that way?). Either way, I have some thoughts, but I’ll wait to
> > hear what you actually mean before launching into my POV.
> >

> Explained above.  In a nutshell, Community Tech is tactical, short term and
> transactional; as opposed to strategic, long term and partnering.

Useful, clear summary. Appreciated.

> > Maybe not. But if it could strike a deeper cord around transparency, I
> > wanted to show up for that conversation. Talk openly. Let people know
> that
> > we are listening, that we believe in transparency… that’s why we all
> fought
> > for it.
> >
> > To be clear, I have no sense whether it did strike a cord around
> > transparency, but I enjoyed the conversation nevertheless.
> >

> My experience of the Foundations notion of Transparency has been patchy at
> lest -- and that's a polite way of saying breathtakingly awful.

That good? All jokes aside, I take this very seriously. I’d like to hear
your notion of transparency, but first I’ll offer this one that I recently
heard because I have the sense that it will resonate with you. We're in the
final stages of an org-wide conversation on our values
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Values/2016_discussion/Framing>. We
invited some current and former community-selected board members as well as
volunteers beyond the board to these conversations.  I enjoyed them very
much.

Normally, I would attribute this quote, but these conversations were
anonymized, so I don’t have permission to reveal my brilliant source. They
talked about how transparency was likely not the right word for what they
really wanted. They wanted a way to join in. They wanted to know where they
could plug in. Is that a notion of “maybe more than transparency" that
resonates with you?

That’s the problem that I’m chewing on. And so your ideas around
collaboration are interesting to me. So I’m thinking about them. What they
would mean, how it could be done, the myriad of constraints that make it
seem quite difficult to orchestrate.

> What has changed in the last fortnight to make me expect that it will be
> different this year?

Look, if there’s one thing I think I’ve learned throughout my career, it’s
all of the things that could go wrong. Sometimes it feels like that’s all I
have to offer: what not to do.

I also don’t think grand pronouncements are the way to go. So I’d be happy
to explain some of the things that I do think have changed, as long as you
know I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I’m just legitimately
answering your question from my partial point of view.

Leadership has changed. I see more people internally looking to involve
relevant stakeholders in their work (New Readers and ORES come to mind).
I’m also hopeful about the movement strategy process. It looks like a good
faith effort on everyone’s part to come together and discuss the future in
open, inclusive, documented discourse
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017>.

I see progress, not perfection.

> > > In the middle ground, there is the
> > > issue of the current product roadmap and its delivery.  Perhaps an
> > > indication of what that roadmap is may help to refine and revise the
> plan
> > > that will have to be drawn up for executing the work that is left
> hanging
> > > by these events.
> > >

> > I wonder if you'll be surprised to know that I distinctly recall you
> > mentioning roadmaps previously. Perhaps more than once. I wouldn’t go so
> > far as to call it your mantra, but I’ve heard you repeat it numerous
> times.
> >

> Yes.  I have on numerous occasions asked the WMF to publish it roadmap and
> it has consistently declined to do so.  It has also consistently refused to
> even say why it does not do so.  Do you have any ideas on the matter?

I don’t have enough information.

I can think of several possibilities, which I will take a moment to
> enumerate.
>

>    1. The Foundation does not believe in a Roadmap and prefers an Agile
>    lurch from one thing to another like Frankenstein's monster

I have a penchant for comedy. Although I can appreciate the comedy of the
lurching-monster imagery, I think this kind of language can place people on
the defensive. It may lead them to withdraw. Withdrawing may not be the
best thing to do, but it’s what many humans do.  You are a very reasonable
thinker and appear to be intent on solving problems, so this kind of
joke/jab may undermine your deeper intent.

>    2. The Foundation thinks it ought to have a Roadmap but has found it too
>    difficult and is embarassed to admit that it isn't able to do it
>    3. The Foundation thinks it ought to have a Roadmap and is embarrased to
>    admit that it has not yet got round to doing it
>    4. The Foundation has a Roadmap but is afraid to publish it as it knows
>    the Community would not like it
>    5. The Foundation has a Roadmap but cannot be bothered to take the
>    effort to publish it
>    6. The Foundation has no interest in what the Community thinks on a wide
>    range of subjects including this one
>
> Is any of those close to the truth, do you think?

I do not know.

> > I’d like to understand more. I can think of many reasons why someone
> > would/should want a roadmap. For which reasons would you like one? What
> > would it allow you to do? For example, is a roadmap a transparent
> > publication? A platform to build on top of? A means to some other end?
> >

> It woud enable the Community to contribute to the planning and help with
> the implementation; to spot possible gaps; to propose partnerships; to
> identify areas of misunderstanding between Foundation and Community; to
> better understnd when and where to propose requests for enhancements; to
> plan its own work in terms of transitioning project content to new
> technologies and systems.

Yes, it would definitely enable these things in theory and many likely also
in practice. I’m just now thinking of constraints (e.g., time, money,
recruiting), which is not your point.

> > And would you be willing to rank the relative importance of having the
> > ability to do those things versus solving potentially other important
> > problems.
> >

> Yes, of course, but unfortunately the Foundation seems to have no desire
> to expose its view of those problems.

I understand. I guess I’m trying to figure out just how cool and difficult
this style of collaboration would be and what are the other cool and
difficult things you fear we might not do if we deployed our resources in
this way. At this stage, I’m not for or against. I’m just thinking.

You've helped me see some new possibilities for how we might organize.
Thank you.

/a