Hey,

I love that thread. Touchy topîc and yet an awesome discussion, Thank you
so much :D

A few month ago, little time after my election, I asked that question on
Facebook and provided my own answer. And yes, I do believe that saying
neutral knowledge should be freely accessible by everyone on the planet is
kind of a really really really really strong political statement.

I also think that "politic" discussion is hard to have as the word politics
can bare many different meaning. One of them is derived on how we use it
regarding national politics. We use politics as a word to include all
politics (economic, social, education, etc.). And political party, or a
political organization, will tend to adress all of them (or some).

That is not what we are talking about actually. To me, I mean politic as,
Asaf will love that, in latin (pertaining to public life). We are a
political organization, we stand for strong values, but we are not
political in the sense we're aligned with a specific party or candidate.
And I don't know about the US, but one thing I love with french wikimedian
is knowing some of them are so fare away from me on the political scale and
yet share values (if I had time I would love to explain how I believe this
is an exemple of why our political systems are broken ^^).

So in the end, to me, the question is where do we draw the line when it
comes to standing up for our values and, related questions, what are those
values we should stand up for?

But again, as a movement, we have the potential to have a huge impact on
the world. That is not neutral, that is a force of change and change always
is poltical.

Christophe HENNER
Chair of the board of trustees
chen...@wikimedia.org