This is a laudable effort. I will however suggest that this program be
localized.

Local affiliate teams can server as holding bays and dispatchers of donated
laptops.

So if I want to donate a laptop here in Lagos, Nigeria, I simply send the said
laptop to the local affiliate team and communicate with Wikimedia HQ. when
someone local needs a laptop, HQ approves and the local affiliate team on
receipt of approvals dispatch the laptop to the person laptop was donated to.

This will ensure global reach, reduce cost and improve efficiency of the
project.

Kayode Yussuf