Woohoo!

-- brion

On Jul 29, 2017 9:43 AM, "Victoria Coleman" <vcole...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

Hello All!

Daniel and I would like to share some good news:

After  talking about it for years, and vetting the draft for months,
it's finally done: the Architecture Committee has adopted a proper charter
defining its purpose, operation, and authority.

You can find the charter here:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Charter <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Charter>>

The charter among other things defines from where the committee draws its
authority over technical development at the WMF: the committee acts as an
extension of the CTO. This gives the committee  a clear role in the
foundation's decision
making processes.

The charter also clarifies the scope of TechCom: it is to act as an
authority on
technical decisions regarding any official software that serves Wikimedia
users.
The committee should be involved in matters regarding such software that are
strategic, cross-cutting, or hard to undo.

The committee has also given itself a new name, to better fit the scope as
defined in the charter: we are now the Wikimedia Technical Committee
(TechCom).

Looking forward to working with the technical community to fulfill the
charter!

Victoria & Daniel