Yaroslav,

Yes, you already made your point earlier, and I addressed it here [1] and
also in the draft proposal to enable some volunteers to receive donations
for their work [2]. The fact that you neither commented on my reply to your
initial concern, nor on the proposal suggests me several possibilities. The
first one is that you are not listening to me [3], because you are not
interacting with the proposals that could counter your fears, and you are
not asking questions about them. The second one is that you don't trust
your own capacity to listen to other people even when money is involved.
That could also be, because people with the biggest fear that others do not
listen to them are indeed not well equiped to listen to other people. And
the third one could be that you are a victim of your own observations, you
might be so used to see white swans (people being paid not listening) in
your life that the mere idea that black swans (people being paid who
listen) exist might seem inconceibable for you. It could also be that you
find something wrong or that could be done better in my proposal or that
you have a better one, but since you haven't voiced your opinion, I don't
know what.

Concerning time and motivation, I consider that the people who are
contributing during their official working hours without explicit permision
to do so are effectively STEALING resources from their employer. This is of
course a partial view, because who owns actually the planetary resources?
And who is there to say that it is not reasonable to invest some in
Wikimedia projects? Although I understand and I feel empathy for the
volunteers that Bodhisattwa mentions, I feel that what Aubrey said before
holds true here: "You can't do good if there's no "you" in the first
place". So if I ever meet people like that I will tell them: you are not
doing any good here, because you are not putting yourself first.

You say that "we indeed have a lot of people who shout loud, do very
little, and get all kinds of credits for the work others have done". But we
also have many people who speak quietly, do very much, and get no credit
for what they are doing, and I do not see harm in recognizing their work
with donations, specially if they commit to improve themselves and to
listen. You don't explain why you don't like people who listen and who get
donations. Tbh, I do not like to have slaves in our movement, and I think
we should free them from this kind of ungrateful slavery that many seem to
be very happy about. At least slaves got some food, and a place to sleep.

And also listen to what Anders is saying, our model is not working any more
(it was not sustainable to start with), we have reached the limit, and now
it is time to reinvent ourselves. And as far as I know most of us here are
"bottom", so we are building "bottom-up".

@Aubrey: Thanks for your long answer :) I'll address it later on, to write
this email took me at least 5h of coming to the keyboard and leaving to
manage the stress. I hope a reply to your email takes me a bit less...

Regards,
Micru

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2018-May/090365.html
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Micru/Draft_RFC