Yes. I think I am. I wouldn't have thought that WMF would be so driven by
economics.  I would bail from this project and find another that was less
partisan, though fewer and fewer institutions seem nonpartisan to me.  I
expect that the WMF projects would be more to your liking without people of
my beliefs intruding on policy discussions.  I favor the WMF focusing its
efforts on serving a vast public by offering content that is not

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 6:40 PM, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> Are you suggesting that public policy to support wikimedians outside
> of copyright and internet law would be outside of the basic remit as
> specified by the Mission?

​Basically yes.
​

> We should measure how much donors are likely
> to donate more or less for each of the issues.

​That is a short-run view.  I prefer institutions that seem committed to​ a
minimal core set of values.  That long-term commitment is not necessarily
consistent at all times with the current views of those currently choosing
to participate in these fora.  I am also surprised that you believe that
the economics of donations and grants should be driving the projects.  Is
WMF for sale to corporate donors, to large private donors, or to those who
craft seductive fund-raising messages?

I would also like to
> know the proportion of wikimedians who think the Mission is so
> restrictive.

​Facts are always nice,/

> > US only or worldwide
>
> Peter, both in proportion to optimized influence likelihoods.

​What is an "optimized influence likelihood"?​

> Best regards,
> Jim
>
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Dennis During <dcdur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd reconsider contributing content to WMF projects if WMF became a
> > partisan on issues outside its basic remit.
> >
> > On Jun 15, 2018 16:11, "James Salsman" <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Regarding https://twitter.com/SuePGardner/status/998302792946102273
> >
> > I propose that the Executive Director resume regular periodic
> > correspondence with donors on other ways they can support the
> > movement, beyond copyright and internet law advocacy that the
> > Foundation traditionally supports directly and indirectly. In
> > particular, I propose that the Executive Director ask donors to
> > support other organizations which are working for free college,[1-4]
> > single payer universal health care,[5] shorter work weeks,[6-7]
> > payroll subsidies,[8] and two-bracket taxation.[9]
> >
> > I believe all of these goals are favored by wikimedians, for
> > wikimedians, I predict at around 80% for the least popular. If there
> > is any question I ask that a statistically robust and significant
> > survey of the question among community and staff be conducted with the
> > urgency commensurate that work in these areas deserves.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Jim Salsman
> >
> > [1]
> > https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/16/free-community-