I can't find a more formal way to word this message, so I'll hope something
along the lines of a word vomit essay is alright.

I think a major part of the problem you brought up is a lack of easily
accessible resources to get involved. Sure, Meta tells users *how to get on
mailing lists*, but there's no description of the topics regularly
discussed, and no information on those topics. For example, not a ton of
Wikimedia users are all that familiar with the Affiliations Committee—even
I wasn't until reading this mailing list.

In order to get more users involved, we need to focus not just on
international language barriers, but also information barriers for
everybody. Even something as simple as a "Wikimedia-l topic reference" or
"Mailing list topic reference" page on Meta including quick rundowns of
certain things and some links to more in-depth information pages on the
various topics would likely have a positive impact on participation.

When people know what is being discussed, they can learn by observing the
discussions, and feel that much more confident in participation.

I hope this helps!

Dakota (dross)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dross