Hi Ariel,

thanks for the very thoughtful question. I got asked this question every
time I present it, and during the Blue Sky presentation this question - or
a variation of it - was asked three times. It really is on top of people's
mind!

My answer is half inconsistent, I am afraid, because I have by now come up
with three ways to answer this question, and they contradict each other. So
I am glad to hear more thoughts on it.

Here are the three answers:

1) I think that language is a pretty bad delimiter to keep points of view
apart. Yes, sure, it allows the Japanese Wikipedia to offer a different
description of World War 2 than the Korean Wikipedia has, but I am not sure
that is entirely a good thing. We don't have two Wikipedias for Portugal
and Brazil, they have to agree and what they say, but we have Wikipedias in
Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Serbocroatian... and I am not sure that the
outcome of this decision is fully positive. So, my main point is, if we
really want to capture cultural differences, let's align the borders of the
editions of Wikipedia along these cultures. But aligning the cultural
borders solely along language borders is badly imperfect.

2) But in general, I think that accepting that different Wikipedias should
have different contents are incompatible with our NPOV policy. Now we could
have a lengthy discussion whether NPOV is a good policy or not. But in
general, I'd really prefer to have all points of views being presented with
their due weight in all languages, instead of using languages to represent
a point of view only in one language, and have a different point of view in
another language. I would love to be able to read both the Japanese and the
Korean point of view on contentious issues between these two countries - as
I can in Serbian and Croatian, because I can read both languages just fine
- but I think it is rather problematic that language barriers dictate the
point of view I have access to. In fact, in many cases, we can see in the
English speaking Wikipedia how the very same editors from the say Croatian
and Serbian Wikipedia come to a more balanced result in the English
Wikipedia, which they wouldn't accept in their 'home' Wikipedias. Funny,
isn't it?

3) More importantly, and entirely disagreeing with #1 and #2, is that the
Abstract Wikipedia never suggests to replace the current language editions,
but to fill up the gaps in any given language edition. So, if the Croatian
Wikipedia really wants to go into details on Croatian folk songs and
Croatian food items, they should be totally able to do so without having to
feel bad that they might be missing basic information about South American
countries and Australian Aboriginal cultures. In fact, what I hope is that
each language edition can choose to display the renderings from the
Abstract Wikipedia for most articles, and then they can concentrate on
creating in-depth articles on the topics they really care about - local
cities, cultures, traditions. I remember in the beginning when working on
the Croatian Wikipedia - it feels weird to work on the article about a
local dish if you're still missing articles on all chemical elements. How
can I write an article about the town my mom lives in (pop. 148) if there
is no article yet about the country of Mexico? The abstract Wikipedia has
the ability to lessen that pressure and allow the local communities to
focus on their interests more.

I assume that the solution that combines the three answers is that we will
display the local articles whenever available, but be able to take a look
at the article rendered from the abstract version (for contrast and
comparison and maintenance). And if there is no local article, we would
treat the article rendered from the abstract version like a proper article.

So, as said, the actual answer to your question is still work in progress,
but I wanted to write down a first sketch towards the answer. I am also
very happy to hear other people thoughts on this question. But all in all I
think that going toward an Abstract Wikipedia will improve along all the
dimensions discussed. But I am sure I missed important dimensions on this
question.

Cheers,
Denny