We all agree that NC licenses are exceedingly poor due to the reasons
listed, yet we leave a lot of useful content (such as Khan academy videos)
less accessible to our readers because we disallow any such use. Fair use
has the same issues, in that fair use is decided on a cases by case basis.
And I would argue that allowing fair use on EN WP brings a lot less benefit
to our users than would allowing NC videos or images.

This is a balance between pragmatism and idealism. We IMO should not let
striving for perfection prevent us from taking steps towards becoming more
useful. Do the majority of our users care if the videos we contain are only
fully openly licensed, would they be upset to see CC BY SA NC videos? I
doubt it, and for the small minority that do we just need to clearly mark
things.

I and others have tried for over 10 years to convince both Khan and the
World Health Organization to adopt open licenses. They have decided to
stick to using NC.
James

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 4:52 PM Kat Walsh <k...@mindspillage.org> wrote:

> This was brought up during the 4.0 drafting process, but it was
> ultimately rejected:
>

> https://creativecommons.org/2012/08/29/ongoing-discussions-noncommercial-and-noderivatives/
>
> We also proposed renaming NC to "Commercial Rights Reserved" to make
> it clearer what NC does, but that too had insufficient support.
>
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-community/2012-December/008087.html
>
> I'm not sure what the current attitudes are at CC but I think it's no
> more likely than before.
>
> -Kat
>
> > Is there any way we could convince CC to deprecate the useless -NC
> licenses?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> > > On 11 Jul 2020, at 22:59, Erik Moeller <eloque...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > Pete Forsyth wrote a new essay on the ambiguities of the NonCommercial
> > > ("non-commercial use only") provision in Creative Commons licenses,
> > > which I wanted to share in case it's helpful for folks making the case
> > > against using NC to cultural institutions or others (or in the
> > > occasionally resurgent debate to permit NC within Wikimedia):
> > >

> https://freedomdefined.org/The_non-commercial_provision_obfuscates_intent
> > >
> > > It argues that NC is so ambiguous in its defining restriction that it
> > > almost defeats the point of attaching a CC license at all. I feel this
> > > complements the longer (dated!) essay at
> > > https://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC nicely.
> > >
> > > Warmly,
> > >
> > > Erik

James Heilman