From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Christophe Henner
Sent: 30 September 2020 23:07
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moving the technical infrastructure out of the US

Hi everyone,

Options to mitigate any risks are numerous, especially when it comes to
content distribution (private/semi-private/public/delegated/federated/a mix
of everything) but given the current context I would restrain from having
this as a public / community discussion.

We, community members, would most probably have great inputs but when one
is dealing with this kind of topic, designing contingencies plan, one has
to be ful of what information can be public. I have no idea whether staff
is working on such a topic, and it is better that way.

But we, as community members and awesome human beings, must be mindful of
some things:

   - The people in charge of that topic are mostly US Citizens. The current
   political and social climate is most probably draining their energy.
   Imagine having to manage it both from a personal and professional
   standpoint. Top that doing it for something as important as our projects.
   We cannot fathom their anxiety levels and should not add any to it.
   - Sending email about this topic, they have to read it. They most
   probably have to discuss, debate and balance whether they should answer or
   not. Imagine adding that to the first point.
   - They know for a fact, remember a lot of community members are staff,
   that community could be helping. But they can't ask for it.
   - Top all of that with them knowing that whatever course of action they
   might pick, it comes with a toll. Whether it is to talk about it here, and
   perhaps hinder their efforts, or not talk about it here and be perceived as
   ignoring the community.
   - Top all of that with the stress of trying to do their job in a global
   pandemic situation that might have them with loved ones at risk. Or with
   the need to care daily for young / elderly people.
   - Top that with the fact that they most probably all have relatives that
   at best are in financial struggle, or health struggles or are managing with
   the loss of loved ones.

Take a pause. Try to step in that space. Imagine how you would feel.
Multiply that by a hundred.

I would recommend we (community members) restrain from talking about it.
Perhaps what could be helpful, I am saying could, is for the people that do
actually have knowledge on those topics to just say they are available to
help if needs be with your area of expertise.

If no one at the Foundation acknowledges this thread or your emails, it is
ok. It doesn't mean you are not valued, it means that you are being spared
from that weight. We can provide support, but we should be mindful not to
increase their current level of stress.

Please all take care of yourselves, loved ones and each other

PS: I said staff, but read it as "anyone with an official Wikimedia
Foundation capacity". I know for a fact how those situations can be hard to
manage when you are a volunteer board member in the shadow too.

--
Christophe

https://www.avg.com