For many years my part of England used to rely on a radio station based in
Luxembourg. When it comes to potential host countries for Wikimedia there
is a lot to be said for choosing a country that is small enough to rather
like the idea of hosting the world's favourite reference site, even if that
means a few changes to copyright and publishing laws and some upset to
international relations. Somehow I don't see the US, or a country a
thirtieth that size, being overly bothered at ceasing to be the host nation
for an organisation the size of this movement

Norway, Iceland or pretty much any Scandinavian country has a case here,
though Norway and Finland both border Russia, which could be an issue.

Switzerland might work, though their banking industry would make them an
odd host for a site that amongst other things documents the doings of the
rich and powerful. However, like Luxembourg, San Marino, Andorra and
Liechtenstein, they do have that rare advantage of being immune to gunboat
diplomacy.

Ireland and New Zealand are also interesting possibilities, small enough
and independent minded enough that they might see the extra jobs and
international impact as more than worth any aggro.

A sensible way forward would be to write up the specification for such a
location, including the technology - you'd want to connect to a major spine
of the internet; But also the publishing, copyright and libel laws that we
need, and then have the WMF email the business development agencies of the
governments concerned inviting them to express an  interest.

The net result might involve us making a change, for example I would hope
we'd be willing to lose the Fair Use protection of US law in order to find
a more congenial home for the movement.

Regards

WSC