I see the benefits in the definitions as a starting point from which to
help develop materials to assist where possible the development of
leadership. These types of assistance can be through learning days
alongside regular events like Wikimania, the Summit as well as regional
events. There are many benefits to the movement in helping someone isolated
trying to build a community to have these learnings at hand and to have
support to access their own growth especially in areas they may not have
had much experience in.

I can say from experiencing the WMUK's training program in 2014 did help me
push forward with outreach and supporting new members into taking on roles
within the affiliates and elsewhere in the movement.  Finding a way to help
expand the community's resources, be it money, hardware, software, or
volunteers and their skillset is one of the primary objectives of the WMF.
Our only real concern is that we don't lose the imagination and creativity
of the individual that has got us to where we are now.

On Wed, 21 Sept 2022 at 09:07, effe iets anders <effeietsand...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I definitely acknowledge the need for our movement to better facilitate
> capacity development, which feeds into leadership qualities. For many years
> I have been part of various working groups and communities that have
> struggled to find volunteers that were willing to take up leadership roles
> and were at the same time also in possession of the skills and experience
> to do so. I have been encouraged to see some of that work take place over
> the past years, initiated both by some people at the WMF and some chapter
> officers through various pathways.
>
> I'm somewhat struggling to see the use of these definitions in their
> current form, and the context in which they should be read. In that sense,
> I'm definitely nodding my head while reading the response from Braveheart:
> it's easy to read this as some centralist effort. At the same time, I'm
> trying to think through how I would expect our movement to address this
> alternatively, and that is still hard to wrap my head around. Maybe having
> a common vocabulary does help as a step in the direction of developing
> these qualities in our movement. It won't get us there, I agree, and any
> solutions will require more programs, more efforts and most of those will
> have to be volunteer driven and community supported to be effective in a
> meaningful way. If I read this list of bullet points as "these are the
> qualifications we value in Wikimedian leaders", the list makes quite some
> sense.
>
> If we would contextualize this properly with some introduction of how
> people are expected to read this, and maybe some conversation guides, it
> could offer a starting point for a conversation among a community or
> working group to talk about their own shared leadership qualities, and what
> is lacking. It could then help us prioritize changing our workflows a bit
> (e.g. how can we become more decisive) or recruit someone to add those
> qualities. This context and understanding is severely lacking from the
> current text though - it feels like a lot of thought, effort and
> understanding went into this, and contextualizing it better may be a good
> way to ensure that the content actually has an impact. I'm not sure either
> what the next steps would be or how we could take such a list and help
> people develop some of these skills.
>
> What would help me to contextualize this better would be answers to some
> of the following questions:
> # If you compare this to academic literature on the topic, how does this
> list contrast? What are the leadership qualities that Wikimedia
> communities, teams and groups look for but are not necessarily expected in
> business, academia or society?
> # Does this list of qualities has to manifest itself in a single person,
> or in the group as a whole? At what size (ballpark) does this kind of
> evaluation become relevant?
> # You describe some qualities you're looking for in leadership. What would
> [...]

Boodarwun
Gnangarra
'ngany dabakarn koorliny arn boodjera dardoon ngalang Nyungar koortaboodjar'