Here's my reasons for why ordinary people (i.e. non-members) just
might like to edit the site from the last time this discussion was
had:

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Lloyd Nguyen <zero1...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I think I have to ask, what kind of things could/would a non-member
    edit on the site?

They might like to RSVP to an event. That's the main thing that comes to mind.

Also discussion pages (discuss a policy or concern), or fix a typo or
formatting.

And they might like to be able to contribute in the time leading up to
taking on membership.

And there will be unforeseen reasons too. I know this is a friendly
discussion, but it feels odd having to justify why a wiki should be
open here.

Lastly, it's a bit of a turn off having to email someone and waiting
for response to get access, and I'm sure there are people who simply
would see that requirement as being too much bother in comparison to
the edit they want to make, or even take the restriction as being less
than than welcoming.

If spam is the main reason to have accounts, would using a CAPTCHA for
non-confirmed accounts help? (is that a simple option in Mediawiki?)

Otherwise I'd recommend nothing more restrictive than "confirm email
address to edit"

Peter Halasz