Tony1 has made some comments about the 2014 Annual Plan:

http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Proposal_talk:2014_Annual_Plan

and I hope we will be hearing more from others!

In regard to his comment about WMAU being represented at international
events, it's probably worth a broader discussion of some of the issues here.

In 2013, we didn't budget any money for participation in international
community events, precisely because we (the committee) were doubtful about
the benefits from "chinwagging" relative to the costs. However, that has
been interpreted by others as not engaging with the broader community, etc.
In particular we had a certain amount of criticism for not being represented
at the Chapters Conference.

The other issue here is that, despite all the electronic means of
communication, people still seem to need face-to-face meetings (and, in
particular, the act of eating together) to build trust and goodwill; this is
something that I have seen so many times in my years in international
standards development (even though almost all the people I worked with were
IT people and hence those who one might think most able to work effectively
electronically). And trust/goodwill is important when it comes to getting
money, so it may be that an international airfare for some carefully-chosen
event (meaning "who" will be there) might be an excellent investment. So
that's why it's on the list of possibilities for discussion.

Kerry