I do like the "Wikiminia" title!

But on conferences and meetups generally, I think we need to look
realistically at the value for money when we set up these events.  The bare
fact of the matter is that setting up an event in Australia is expensive.
 Accommodation, venues, and most importantly travel costs are very high by
international standards.  So before we start thinking about having more
symposiums, conferences, and other get-togethers, we really need to ask
ourselves if that is the most cost effective way to achieve whatever it is
that we're looking to do.  Are the higher costs justified by the benefit of
having face-to-face communication?

The answer of course may be "yes", but that needs to be quantified before
we go and start inviting people.  And to my mind the best way to approach
it is not to decide to have a "real life" event, and then fill it with
various programmes, but to decide what it is we want to achieve as an
organisation, and then hold an event if that is the most sensible way to
achieve those goals.

Regards,
Craig Franklin