Yes, agreed. Though I think there are ways such an event can take place
cheaply, and even ways for it to make money (Rego fees but free for
members).

For example, we're pulling together a little one day conference for a
couple of hundred dollars and a heap of in kind:
http://tinyurl.com/aaaopenconf and the Sydney Uni Wikimedia in Ed symposium
was an excellent event for consolidating and extending education and
research practice, it just needed better promotion and documentation -
yearly consistency would bring that.

If the objective is to build and strengthen community, then I think a
"National" Wikiminia, hosted in a University or Glam with a heap of inkind
support, would do that. The conference format coupled with the journal
(WAJER) is inviting to academics.. If that is a target group. The Sydney
Uni symposium was the first Wikiminia in my mind.