Agreed.  Also,  at least one of the International events: Wikimania, offers
support for travel already. But targeting funds for the purposes you
outline seems a good idea.

Speaking of Wikimania... and linking to the WAJER idea, but ignoring the
"chinwagging" perspective,  how about ab annual event called Wikiminia?
Bringing together datahackers, local real work community groups, and
wikiheads, mostly to celebrate, issue awards, dream big, eat and chinwag,
but on a local outreach scale. Hosting such a thing is taking another
financial incentive open to academics too.. They are recognised andpossibly
rewarded for four publishing in WAJER and presenting at Wikiminia. I
volunteer to help organise.