Although I don't know the cause of Tony's problems, when I tried to get an
automated email sent from the listserver just now, Gmail automatically
transferred them into the "social" category so that they weren't visible,
which initially led me to assume that they weren't making it through. Some
email services treat automated email as spam, or (as Gmail now does), hides
it by automatically putting it into something other than the inbox. It
would be tricky to diagnose any problems from here, but the problems could
have been technical, rather than deliberate.

Adam