On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:12 AM, LiAnna Davis <lda...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing these results so far, Noopur!
>

> That being said, I'm really glad to see this experimented with in
> places other than the United States. I think the early results Noopur
> shared from India and what we've seen with a similar Facebook group
> for the Cairo Pilot of the Wikipedia Education Program (in that case
> entirely volunteer-led) demonstrates that the results I saw are not
> applicable globally. I'm glad to see us experimenting with different
> ways of engaging local communities to edit Wikipedia, and I look
> forward to hearing more about these efforts as they mature in the
>  future.

Having spent quite a bit time on the field doing user research on mobile
technology use in India, I can vouch for its amazing reach here. I have
been to desolate villages in
kutch<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutch_District>where you will find
people living in mud houses, intermittent power supply,
smartphones with a 3g connection and sharing poetry with friends in their
community on facebook. And these are people who have not even passed high
school.

These are amazing things happening in this country and now is a golden
opportunity to capitalize on that to benefit the wikimedia movement. These
are worthwhile experiments and I look forward to seeing a lot more in terms
of innovative ideas to engage people and bring them together for a
worthwhile cause.

j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>