Arun,

The Chapter is a legally recognised affiliate of the Chapter. WMF User Groups
are also defined to be something like affiliates designed to share similar
arrangements to what the Chapter has. As a gesture, the Affiliations Committee
does consult the Chapter as the official affiliate in the locale.

At the time, I believe the argument was that the Community would be better
served by one dedicated organisation. The Chapter had a similar entity since
2010 called the Special Interest Group to work in a similar way but with the
affiliations committee work being done by the Chapter.

Vishwa's email seems to suggest the Chapter Exec Comm are now more open to the
possibility of having WMF User Groups.

Warm regards,
Pradeep

Sent from my iPhone