On 11/29/08, Andrew Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> michael west said:
>
>>> A board seat for a representative of indigenous non English speakers
>>> would Ipresume only represent a member of the Celtic language speakers.
>>> The facts are that non-indigenous people who contribute to the WMF who
>>> speak languagesat home or in prayer outweigh those whose languages are
>>> official languages of the UK. It just seems bizarre.
>
> The reason why I think Wikimedia UK should focus more on, say, Sottish
> Gaelic with its 50,000 speakers than, say German, with its 500,000 speakers
> in the UK, is that we already have a German chapter which can promote German
> language projects.

Here, here. I'm not saying that you should turn away or 'forward'
German-speaking UK residents, for obviously if I move to the UK (which
is not altogether unlikely and depends on 3*20 minutes in
mid-december), I'd join and participate in the UK chapter as well, it
being not viable to go to Switzerland for many chapter
events/projects.

However, it is unreasonable for the UK chapter to publish, say,
leaflets about Wikipedia in German, there being three chapters who can
and should do this. Same for French, Italian etc.

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler