2008/11/29 Thomas Dalton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >  It reminds me of the incredible voting
> > system in Pakistan where non muslims are allowed to select a number of
> seats
> > for the national assembly
>
> Does that make any less sense than determining constituencies purely
> by geography?

Actually it does, the National Assembly of Pakistan (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_National_Assembly ) is essentially
based on the UK Parliamentary system of constituencies. Muslims voted in
constituencies, non muslims voted for a number of seats Hindu, Singh,
Ahmedi, Christian etc outside of constituency boundary.

A board seat for a representative of indigenous non English speakers would I
presume only represent a member of the Celtic language speakers. The facts
are that non-indigenous people who contribute to the WMF who speak languages
at home or in prayer outweigh those whose languages are officail languages
of the UK. It just seems bizarre.