I've been involved in a company with around 1,000 members and it found
no particular difficulties with managing them.  None of them were very
interested in an alternative "friends" affiliation; quite a few took
no interest in the AGM, but nobody ever suggested that the vanishingly
small responsibilities of being a guarantor member had put them off
joining (in part because the meaning of this was clearly explained on
the membership form, as I believe it is on ours).

Best Wishes
Mickey