Tobacco wouldn't be possible due to uk advertising laws anyway. We would need 
to seek advice from the foundation on things which could be considered touchy 
in terms of pr. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Virgin Steve <[email protected]>
Sent: 16 February 2009 22:46
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Wikimediauk-l] Wikimania Budget committee


 Where would you guys take money from?

 I ask as a lot of the 'sin stocks' have cash and I could approach but it
 might not be the kind of thing that fits with the 'teams'

 Eg: GM company and tobacco company (that kind of thing)




 -----Original Message-----
 From: [email protected]
 [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of joseph
 seddon
 Sent: 16 February 2009 20:01
 To: [email protected]
 Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Wikimania Budget committee

 We are allowed to contract multinational companies. There is a
 possibility of sponsorship from american company anyway. I don't think
 that its wrong cause at the end of the day, we can pass on sponsors in
 the event we don't win. Iv been doing exactly what your suggesting.

 seddon

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Thomas Dalton <[email protected]>
 Sent: 16 February 2009 19:27
 To: [email protected]
 Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Wikimania Budget committee

 2009/2/16 joseph seddon <[email protected]>:
  > That may be but previous bids have gotten by. We need to assume that
 there is no international sponsorship. We are running out of time fast.
 We have to go with worst case scenario.

  We have a month and a half left, we need to keep moving, but there's
  no need to rush. I guess out first step is to put together a list of
  costs, then we can work out minimum and desired values for each. So,
  here goes:

  * Venue hire
  * Catering
  * Parties venue hire/catering
  * Security (possibly comes with venue - I'm not really sure what we
  need in this regard, but I guess some kind of security would be good)
  * Travel/accommodation sponsorship
  * VIP expenses

  Have I missed anything? (I expect I have.)

  And a list of income sources:

  * Sponsors
  * Ticket sales

  I think that's it.

  I'm not sure we can just assume there won't be any international
  sponsorship, since we need to know whether we should be contacting
  multinationals or not. If the WMF aren't going to do that (which they
  really should), then we should be contacting the UK branches of all
  the multinationals listed at
http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sponsors

  _______________________________________________
  Wikimedia UK mailing list
  [email protected]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l


 _______________________________________________
 Wikimedia UK mailing list
 [email protected]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l

Reply via email to