On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Sean Whitton <s...@silentflame.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 00:15, Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net> wrote:
>> Third, we're not all about Wikipedia. We're about the Wikimedia
>> Movement, or even more generally, the free culture movement. That
>> incorporates a much wider range of projects, including Wikiversity
>> whose aim is explicitly to educate people, and a load of other
>> projects that do this to a lesser extent.
>
> IANAL, but this seems to be the key thing that we're stumbling on. If
> we press this aspect of the chapter's purpose, that it supports
> Wikimedia which is very obviously an educational charity, and that we
> support all our projects esp. Wikiversity and Wikibooks, then maybe
> their misapplication will dissapear. Focussing on Wikipedia whenever
> Wikimedia comes up is something people tend to do.

Avoiding mention of Wikipedia would be a good start, it's a large and
popular website and any mention of it is bound to mix in peoples
preconceptions.

It may also be worthwhile to mention your support of Wikieducator, a
commonwealth-based charity which is both similar in some ways to
Wikiversity+Wikibooks. Wayne Mackintosh, a member of the WMF advisory
board is also a prominent member of Wikieducator, so maybe you could
get some support from him?

You also want to be clear that you are supporting MediaWiki, the
open-source software.

--Andrew Whitworth