Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/11/30 Brian McNeil <brian.mcn...@wikinewsie.org>:
>
>> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 11:01 +0000, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>
>>> There is a lot in the news at the moment about newspapers, etc.
>>> charging people for accessing news on their websites. I wonder if
>>> Wikimedia UK should issue a press release recommending Wikinews as an
>>> alternative. The project could do with some publicity and this might
>>> be a good time to get it some since the subject of news websites is
>>> being discussed. It probably won't be in the news for long, though, so
>>> we would have to move quickly (the release probably needs to go out in
>>> the next 24 hours at the longest).
>>>
>> The thought's good, but right now enWN is currently only pushing out
>> about 5 articles a day.
>>
>> Recruitment campaign might be better.
>>

> I was thinking of a statement that included a suggestion that people
> contribute to it. Getting contributors and getting readers are very
> closely related problems - contributors usually start out as readers
> (at least, they do on Wikipedia).

Thought: while it's topical. According to p. 43 of today's Independent,
Jason Cowley who is the new editor of the New Statesman is giving the
Staggers a facelift. This cluster of issues (free content activism,
citizen journalism, who controls news media) ought to be of interest to
them, but last time I bought it the magazine had a rather fogeyish and
literary take on culture. Would someone like to contact the editor to
see if he'd like an opinion piece on it all?

As for press releases: they're usually in the form of a story that is
half-written, to attract the attention of hacks who can assess how hard
it would be to make a complete story out of the bits.

Charles