Thomas Dalton wrote:
2009/11/30 Brian McNeil <brian.mcn...@wikinewsie.org>:
On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 11:01 +0000, Thomas Dalton wrote:
There is a lot in the news at the moment about newspapers, etc.
charging people for accessing news on their websites. I wonder if
Wikimedia UK should issue a press release recommending Wikinews as an
alternative. The project could do with some publicity and this might
be a good time to get it some since the subject of news websites is
being discussed. It probably won't be in the news for long, though, so
we would have to move quickly (the release probably needs to go out in
the next 24 hours at the longest).
The thought's good, but right now enWN is currently only pushing out
about 5 articles a day.

Recruitment campaign might be better.

I was thinking of a statement that included a suggestion that people
contribute to it. Getting contributors and getting readers are very
closely related problems - contributors usually start out as readers
(at least, they do on Wikipedia).

Yes, we need publicity, and this is a good chance to get it. If we release something, it should highlight the free license and the wiki format, as well as pushing the free to access thing. More activity will be great, whether that activity results in a greater number of editors, or in readers. If a reader recommends it to their friends, their friends may become editors, even if the original reader doesn't. We should probably mention the link to Wikipedia, which more people will be familiar with, but stress that they are separate projects and focus on Wikinews alone.

--
George D. Watson