Richard: a slight correction, the processes for obtaining OTRS access have
changed - I think in 2009/2010.

Instead of the full 'identification' to the WMF (where you send in a copy of
your ID to prove you're >18), OTRS access only requires you to send an email
with your full real name and age (OTRS access can be given to people >16) to
the OTRS admins.

If people aren't required to send their full identification documents perhaps
that could reduce that stumbling block slightly?

Thehelpfulone
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone