Personally, I joined in 2010 and got a renewal email a year later in 2011
which I forgot to act upon, and another one in 2012 (despite presumably
being a very lapsed member by then) after which I actually did get round to
renewing. Perhaps if I had received a second follow-up email in 2011, I
might have renewed then. So gentle reminders would be good.This is because
I am incredibly disorganised, so I always forget things like this and even
when I remember there is usually something more urgent. This doesn't mean I
am not interested in the work of the charity and potentially would even
still like to get involved.

Regarding the renewal, I would also welcome the opportunity to pay my fees
via Direct Debit and automatically renew every year, just because then I
can set it up once and basically forget about the admin side of things.

Also, out of curiosity, why is there not a gift-aid declaration on the
membership page? As far as I can see from HMRC, membership fees such as
Wikimedia UK's should be eligible as they don't confer any benefits other
than membership.

James