I think we need to update the pages on the wiki here.
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Membership/Help
is rather out of date (and there's plenty of questions being asked here that
could be answered there),
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Membership/Process
could probably do with expanding, and maybe we even need to revise
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Membership/Rules
to include things like paying for membership in advance as Tom is pointing out
(maximum number of years, etc.), and some others (e.g. if you renew part-way
through the grace period, do you get 12 months from then, or 12 months from the
anniversary of your joining date - that's currently a bit ambiguous).

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Peel
Secretary, Wikimedia UK

Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent charitable
organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its
contents.

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales,
Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No. 1144513. The Registered Office
is at 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT,
United Kingdom.