> While I agree that the most important cases should be *really* easy, I
> worry about the implication that all other cases (including development of
> core MediaWiki without using VMs) should necessarily be allowed to be
> *really* complex.

If I'm no longer able to run MediaWiki from a XAMPP installation (as
part of the development process) without breaking my fingers due to an
overlay complicated setup that would require me to read a book before
the first line of code hits the editor then its time to put MW in a
box and look for something else.

Cheers