I think XAMPP-type setups are actually probably going to adapt well here --
since you have full system access you can install and run NodeJS-based
services as well. And an installer frontend can help manage setup so you
don't have to manually do much.

My biggest worry is the small installation on a server where the maintainer
doesn't have full admin/root access -- shared departmental web servers or
shared-PHP hosting services.

-- brion