We're also seeing a 50-50 split as far as associations go, but for actual usage (based on data transferred), things do look a bit more promising.

Associations:
- 51% @ 5GHz (32% .11n, 17% .11ac, 2% .11a)
- 49% @ 2.4GHz (36% .11n, 13% .11g)

Usage (Data Transferred):
- 66% @ 5GHz (34% .11n, 32% .11ac)
- 34% @ 2.4GHz (32% .11n, 2% .11g)

As for turning off 2.4GHz, we've done so in certain areas where we have higher-density coverage (eg. larger classrooms that may have a dozen WAPs in them). In general, we leave both radios on. To help with the 2.4GHz situation, though, we have disabled all data rates below 12Mbps to improve efficiency for remaining 802.11g/n users.

We've also considered doing separate SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz but ultimately decided against it due to end-user support issues. Our 5GHz and 2.4GHz coverage footprints aren't identical, and one observation we had was that some devices would tend to prefer staying on or reconnecting to the same SSID. So, once a device got on 2.4GHz, it may require the user to manually move back to 5GHz (vs. just having both frequencies available and hoping the device will automatically select 5GHz).

Jason