Interesting observation Andy.  This closely fits a similar situation where
we have a new building with Cisco 2802’s running and the XOR radio is
automatically disabling 2.4Ghz on several APs in a graduate student space.
While the APs see neighbor APs at ~50db the clients see the ssid @ ~60db in
the 2.4Ghz, but are not able to connect.  Manually turning on a 2.4Ghz
radio from monitor to client service enables the clients to connect.  One
specific device was 2.4Ghz only which pushed to manual adjustments.  If
anyone knows the formula for XOR radio decision it would be very helpful
for our understanding of the process.

We have PS4’s on campus but they typically connect to our guest network
with no auth. (rate limit 8M/2M)  Our help desk encourages students to use
a wired connection for game consoles, especially Xbox if they need public
IP address.  Students can self-register devices for the wired network
(Cisco Clean Access.)  We often joke about it being cheaper to have a box
of USB-Ethernet adapters to hand out instead of spending hours of
troubleshooting one wifi device…… but seriously.

*Mike Atkins *

Network Engineer

Office of Information Technology

University of Notre Dame