I’ve just moved from somewhere that was using Aerohive (~150 AP230s) and we
were happy with it. Roaming and throughput were very solid, troubleshooting is
excellent.
We were doing 802.1x auth breaking out the VLANs locally on the switches but
you can spin up a local VM if you have networks that you want to tunnel back to
a central location for guest access or the like (we were considering plans for
this as I was leaving). We didn’t make much use of the PPSK but it is a really
nice feature that I note that Aruba now seems to be adding too.
The APs will fully work if they don’t have a connection to the controller, you
just lose the ability to do any configuration and monitoring, authentication
just plods along as normal and the APs coordinate with each other for handoffs
and roaming.
Never had any issues with PoE capacity.

Aerohive were very flexible about numbers of APs when renewing support.

The only slight criticism I’ll have moving from the metal brackets that came
with our previous Cisco APs is the mounting brackets are a bit plasticy on the
Aerohives and a little bit more fiddly.

In a similar vein to Meraki Aerohive will give you a free AP to trial which is
worthwhile if you’ve not.

David.