From: Matt Freitag [mailto:mlfre...@mtu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: Wireless Options

Another +1 on Aruba. We've also had varying experiences with their support but
they are mostly positive experiences. The two negative experiences I had with
their support went about like this:

  *   AP-125's spontaneously crash and reboot due to a memory management bug
with no workaround. This went on for months while we were already replacing our
AP-125's anyway because those went end-of-support a while ago, but their
engineering group took months to release a fix to us.
  *   One single CPU in our data path module in our 7240s goes to 100% and
causes authentication timeouts, increased ping times from our network monitor
to our APs to the point that the network monitor says they're down, and users
experience terribly slow connectivity. We saw the issue most when people were
changing classes and increasing the load on the controller a lot with handling
all the associations and disassociations, and the workaround roughly equated to
"split the load between our controllers" which just hid the issue, and then
when that began to fail us our school year ended and we haven't seen the issue
since. We expect to see this again in the fall if Aruba doesn't release the fix
to us over the summer. We've had a ticket open with them since October.
Overwhelmingly positive experience I had with their support tho: all APs on our
campus would spontaneously reboot. Turns out this was due to a very well
malformed UDP packet reaching the controller over the GRE tunnel between
controller and AP causing the AP management process on the controller to hang.
Since it was hung, the process stopped responding to heartbeat requests from
the APs, APs would think the controller is down and reboot. Fix was enable
control plane security which enables an IPSec tunnel between the APs and
controller and IPSec packet validation mechanisms recognized the bad packets
causing the bug as bad packets and silently discarded them which resolved our
issue.

Side note for all the Aruba users, I personally recommend enabling cpsec on
your controllers just to avoid this scenario and encrypt your user traffic on
its way to the controller. Doing this will cause all your APs to reboot to
establish tunnels to the controllers. Double check with your SE and/or Aruba
TAC to check if there are any caveats to doing this in your environment but
we've got 1,400 APs and are approaching 10k active users during the school year
and haven't had a problem.

Back to the topic at hand: overall we've found the product itself is very
stable and works well. We also stick with the conservative release branch
because, while that branch doesn't have all the latest features, it's got all
the stability and we're huge fans of stability here. The APs are easy to set
up, reasonably priced, also solidly stable, the feature set you do have with
your chosen release works well, etc. etc.

Matt Freitag
Network Engineer
Information Technology
Michigan Technological University
(906) 487-3696<tel:%28906%29%20487-3696>
https://www.mtu.edu/
https://www.mtu.edu/it

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Pramod Bhardwaj