From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of John Turner
<jtur...@nyansa.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 1:55 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] [EXT] [WIRELESS-LAN] Wi-Fi in the Elevator Car

I have designed and deployed in car WiFi for a few folks - one we had a Cat 5
cable that was part of the traveler cable (so certified from a movement
perspective) and the other we had a pair that I used a DSL converter on to get
a few MB of traffic for the AP.

These were all 10+ story buildings.

The AP channel was fixed and discrete from the ones used on each floor - each
car in the bank used the same channel and power setup - rarely did the cars
stay on the same floor except in the late evening - Signal was basically
blocked in the shaft anyway other than when the doors opened.

Results were pretty good for the times and good enough to keep a VoIP call
going in optimal situations (excluding client generated issues)

We looked at P2P from the top of the shaft, but then I visited the top of one
of the shafts and realized the dust and grease and access issues made it a
non-starter.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 2:00 PM Michael Cole