Stand your ground or offer a slightly higher speed for the same money you have now with a longer term signed contract. Otherwise stand your ground. Let them know you are better than cable. I am. I bet you are too. That is how I do it. I have plenty of people who pay me when cable is less in my market. They pay me and brag to others that they pay me more for better service. Stand your ground. I had a motel take cable but maintained another connection with me because the perception to them is that my service is better even if it is slightly slower and higher in cost. They keep their emails with me also. I am surprised that people do place value on quality of service but it seems to be working for me despite having Charter and SBC in my town. It is not especially easy and I could be making more money if they were not here but I have stood my ground and it is paying off.
Scriv

Bob Moldashel wrote:

OK...You have a customer that is paying $159 month for 256K service. No other service providers are available in the area except a full T1 for $599+ per month. 8 Months later cable modem shows up and offers $79/month for the first year for new sign ups with 3-4 Mb downloads. Your customer paying $159/month still has 10 months left on his contract and is looking to cancel saying the service is slow.

What do you do?

Do you let the customer out of his contract?? Do you enforce the contract and possibly loose the customer at the end of the contract? Do you match cable's price and speed? Do you try to give him a better package and risk him "jumping ship" anyways?

I would love to hear everyone's ideas and input.

-B-