A better product is nice and all, but there is more to product selection than just price/performance. We have to take into account availability. With distributors we can rely on them to stock a product, so that when we need it in a short time frame it is available. Distributors provide other benefits as well that I am sure most on this list are aware of. With Trango's actions we simply can't buy from them.

-Matt

Mac Dearman wrote:

Be careful that you dont cut your nose off to spite your face on the Trango issue!

I also know Trango is a better product than Moto is more ways than one and Trango is going to be releasing a lower priced 5.x SU that will be very competitive with Moto as they have made some changes in the production of the external housing to allow a lower cost. I think they are going to implement a cheap plastic housing like Motorola?

Mac Dearman
Maximum Access, LLC.
www.inetsouth.com
www.radioresponse.org (Katrina relief efforts)
318-728-8600 - Rayville
318-728-9600

Matt Liotta wrote:

We are looking to start deploying 5.8Ghz multi-point radios at some of our sites. I am hoping some folks on this list can share experiences and ideas on what radios might meet our needs. We have experimented with Canopy and Trango, but would really like some better choices. From a specification standpoint, Canopy general meets our needs, but we don't like being constrained on the antenna. We would like to use sectors bigger than 60 degrees and we would like to use horizontal polarization. We don't want to use Trango for no other reason than they can't work with distributors. We really like the flexibility on many 802.11a-based radios and certainly the price, but the contention aspects of the protocol and the perception of Wi-Fi being a consumer grade technology stop us from going that route.

Any thoughts from the list?

-Matt