<snip>
  The way I see it is this:   (automatic insertion of my .o2 cents)

  If Bell South can charge people extra for added services I can too.
You pay extra for call waiting, call forwarding, call blocking...etc - -
- you pay extra on my internet service to have me give your VoIP packets
prioritization! My packet prioritization is an extra added "value"
service that I am not required to do  - I offer it as a service to my
PAYING clients.

< beating chest & flailing arms wildly >  :-P
</snip>

Well said (note, I am still undecided on which side of the fence to sit on)
To summarize, the statement could be as follows:

"I built this network with my blood, sweat and tears, and I'll be @[EMAIL
PROTECTED] if
I'm gonna submit to governmental regulation that forces me to ensure the
competitors / others can freeload off of my hard work"

However, there are several things to be aware of when taking on this
position

For starters, it is worth noting that generally speaking, very few of the
more successful (I define success in terms of profitability) WISPs are
actually "pureplay WISPs" (now, there will always be an exception, someone
like Matt Larsen or Dorian Banks comes to mind) -- but the majority of guys
(e.g., Scriv, R Harnish, Marlon, Travis Johnson, Sam Rozenthal, Paul Diem,
etc) can be better classified as connectivity / networking service
providers...broadband wireless, along with DSL, dial-up, computer support,
etc just happens one means of servicing a paying customer (basically, it
boils down to cost economics, as in I, the operator, will use whatever
technology is best to provide an acceptable level of service to meet my
customer's requirements)

However, my options will change dramatically (for better or worse is a
different debate) over the next few years if we are to support the ideas of
the above statement.  Going along this line of reasoning (pushing towards
intermodal competition) -- it's only a matter of time before the ILEC can
theoretically cut off all of my resold services (in this case, dial-up, DSL,
T1s, ISDN, Frame Relay) and block any/and all access you have to their
network

So, the thought that needs to be remembered is is that if I start giving
preference (traffic wise) to certain partners/vendors/alliances because they
will pay me money, I am setting the precendence for losing access to the
copper infrastructure (no more dial-up, T1s, DSL).

Now, the big question worth debating is what's better off for the
operator...e.g., will the additional revenue from collecting tolls/fees for
"premium value added services" offset the loss from being denied access

-Charles

CWLab
Technology Architects
http://www.cwlab.com