Winds in my area knocked power out early this morning (GEORGE R - heard you guys had 100mph gusts on the Oregon coast...how'd it go?).

I power all my WiPOPs with an APC UPS (Smart-UPS 700) and grid power. They keep the sites up for 2-3 hours depending on equipment load at the site. I put in a SNMP card (AP9617 - can e-mail upon many different UPS events without having a SNMP server). I get notified that the site is on battery power...buys me time to get to the site with a generator.

My goal is to have a generator that I can plug the UPS into. Here's the scenario I want:

1: Power out. I get notified that UPS is running on batteries. Get geared up. 2: Hook up generator to UPS. (here's the important part) BATTERIES CHARGE ON UPS.
3: UPS Battery gets fully charged.  I get notified 'fully charged'.
4: Fuel in generator runs out. I get notified that UPS is running on batteries.
5: Get fuel to site within 1-2 hours & restart generator.  GOTO 3:.

Site never goes down and I don't have to make unnecessary trips because I think the generator might be low on fuel. Last year we had power down at a site down for 2.5 weeks. Problem was that the site was a last priority because the problem was past any homes with humans in them. Shuttling gas to a generator twice a day for 3 hours of driving for 2.5 weeks got very very very old very very very quickly.

I've got a generator now (Coleman 1850W). Even with the power sensitivity level set to low on the UPS's, it they won't run on the generator. So I think I need cleaner power.

Recommendations?

(power just came back up to my site...got notified by the UPS...gotta go and take the equipment off the generator and plug it into the UPS...customers down for 60 seconds while the Trango backhaul boots).

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net
350 Holly Street