Easy to say but then you don't have to supply the Sun boxes that the Zillacasters run on.

You dont use Sun Boxes! You use Linux based P4-3Ghz Rackmount PCs, they cost us about $700, and never had one give us a bit of trouble in 5 years. Could probably do it in a set top box type unit for under $350.

Also, selling local advertising takes time and man-power.
How do you get enough click-throughs and other metrix on 500 subs?
Even pay the advertising salesperson?

You don't. You take 20 WISPs (500 subs x 20 WISPs= 10,000 subs), and in agregate between them, you get enough click throughs and pay your sales guys.

Maybe they aren't charging enough for the advertising. Lets jsut take the business case of 1 - 500sub WISP. If the users on their network just see one add per month.... Well to mail 500 post cards it will cost $150 just for postage (30 cents each). If just 3 ads were seen by the users of the network in a month, the equipment would be paid for in the first month, compared to just postage alone. Add in envelopes, dorting, printing, etc, before you know it, you are approaching $1 per address for bulk mailing. I see every add that comes through on my PC, but half the paper post cards I get go in the trash before I ever see them. The problem is people lose focus of the value of 500 subs. An Add to my subscribers' EyeBalls, are worth more than just a few pennies. My subs, are worth a alot more. My underserved residents are residence that primarilly live in million dollar or higher homes. Typically where the home density is to far apart for DSL and Cable, and that amount of land is not cheap. Most likely Doctors, Lawyers, CEOs, Bankers, Etc. Now consider that those advertising Hardware boxes will exist on the network for the next 5 years minimum. And consumers will not just see 1-3 adds per month, but probably 1000s.

The sale guy, takes on one client, and sells them targeted ads to 100,000 viewers. Thats only 200 WISPs to have on account. Do the sales job once for many WISPs all in one. Then consider that each of the 500 sub WISPs, will probably have 2000 subs each in a couple years. So the eyeballs will grow with ZERO effort from the sales guy. How many jobs do you ahve where your client base (subs) will grow 400% with out having to do anything but just sit there and wait?

The secret to making the adzilla thing work is get a huge number of WISPs on board. Get every possible person you can on board. Whether they got 500 subs or 20,000 subs.

The truth is I don't know much about the advertising business. I jsut know, a whole lot of small fish equal a couple of really big fish. I'd rather take on 10 new little fish each day, because its easy to get them on board, than spend months trying to get the big fish to sign, who might not even sign, and probably will build there own solution eventually.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom DeReggi

Regards,

Peter

Tom DeReggi wrote:

For the life of me, it amazes me how companies come up with requirements like > 10,000. Any one with half a sense, would realise that WISPs dont have 10,000 subs yet, but all combined represent a unique segment of the market, "The Under Served", that no other ISP can touch. Its not like you can turn the station like TV or Radio.

7000 wireless providers times 500 users each = 3,500,000 unique eye balls to market to with Broadband.
Adzilla is insane not having a 500 sub startout package.
Where you miss in vlume of users you substitute with frequency of adds.
Where you had had hardware appliance you subsitute software executable.