From: George Rogato [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:59 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 3650 equipment

I understood that the 3650 was not to be used in commercial links. I'm
assuming money makes it commercial.
I would like to deploy a couple links for non paying situations, cameras
for a city park. I'd also like to have the license....and not be wasting
my limited unlicensed spectrum.

Do you think this is a legit use for 3650?

George

Patrick Leary wrote:
> Exactly, it clearly shows that an operator today CANNOT launch any
> commercial services using 3650MHz.
>
> - Patrick

As
> things currently stand, deploying a 3.65 GHz system today falls under
> Subpart 5: Experimental Radio Service of the FCC Rules.
>
> Infrastructure Investment & Experimentation under Part 5 needs to be done
> strictly from a "curiosity" perspective rather than one of "commercial
> network expansion."  Part 5 permits experimentation in scientific or
> technical operations directly related to the use of radio waves. The rules
> provide the opportunity to experiment with new techniques or new services
> prior to submitting proposals to the FCC to change its rules.
>
> Some useful excerpts regarding Experimental Licensing
>
> 47CFR5.3: Scope of Service
>
> Stations operating in the Experimental Radio Service will be permitted to
> conduct the following type of operations:
> (a)    Experimentations in scientific or technical radio research
> (b)   Experimentations under contractual agreement with the United States
> Government, or for export purposes.
> (c)    Communications essential to a research project.
> (d)   Technical demonstrations of equipment or techniques.
> (e)    Field strength surveys by persons not eligible for authorization in
> any other service.
> (f)     Demonstration of equipment to prospective purchasers by persons
> engaged in the business of selling radio equipment.
> (g)    Testing of equipment in connection with production or regulatory
> approval of such equipment.
> (h)    Development of radio technique, equipment or engineering data not
> related to an existing or proposed service, including field or factory
> testing or calibration of equipment.
> (i)      Development of radio technique, equipment, operational data or
> engineering data related to an existing or proposed radio service.
> (j)     Limited market studies.
> (k)   Types of experiments that are not specifically covered under
> paragraphs (a) through (j) of this section will be considered upon
> demonstration of need
>
> 47CFR5.51: Eligibility of License
>
> (a)    Authorizations for stations in the Experimental Radio Service will
be
> issued only to persons qualified to conduct experimentation utilizing
radio
> waves for scientific or technical operation data directly related to a use
> of radio not provided by existing rules; or for communications in
connection
> with research projects when existing communications facilities are
> inadequate.
>
> 47CFR5.63: Supplementary Statements
>
> (a)    Each applicant for an authorization in the Experimental Radio
Service
> must enclose with the application a narrative statement describing in
detail
> the program of research and experimentation proposed, the specific
> objectives sought to be accomplished; and how the program of
experimentation
> has a reasonable promise of contribution to the development, extension, or
> expansion, or utilization of the radio art, or is along lines not already
> investigated.
>
> For further information regarding experimental licensing, the FCC has a
nice
> online FAQ that gives a step-by-step how-to on experimental licensing:
> http://www.fcc.gov/oet/faqs/elbfaqs.html

> CWLab
> Technology Architects
> http://www.cwlab.com