From: Matt Liotta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:52 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] This is HUGE!

Not sure why the number of customers is even important when the quality
of customers can vary so wildly. I run into WISPs regularly whose ARPU
is barely above $100. At 1000 customers an ARPU of $100 is only $1.2M
per year. That's a lot of radios and a lot of customers for very little
revenue. Compare this to CBeyond, which is an Atlanta-based CLEC that in
recent time went public. Today they have about 17,000 customers, but
their ARPU is $761. With just 1000 customers, an ARPU of $761 would be
worth $9.1M. Or to look at it a different way, with 17,000 customers an
ARPU of $100 would only be $20.4M compared with the $155.2M they pull in
now.

A WISP would be wise to raise their ARPU as opposed to the number of
customers.

-Matt

Charles Wu wrote:

>>30% of what number Charles?
>>

>At the last show, 500+ attended representing about 350ish operators
>Of these, about 40% responded
>
>Unfortunately, we have a confidentiality agreement with our survey
>respondents, so I cannot list names
>

>>How many WISPs said they have over 1,000 CPE. I can only think of about 20
>>

>with that high a number.
>
>A recent Tim Saunders article in BBW World alone that showed about 40+
>Wireless Network Operators w/ 1,000+ CPE (and there are a lot more that Tim
>missed)
>
>Keep in mind, the majority of these operators no longer actively
participate
>in these list-servs, most of em are busy out in the field installing
>customers / running their businesses =)
>
>Did you know that in Sedona, AZ alone (middle of no-where in Northern AZ
>mountains), w/ a total population of ~15k, there are 2 Operators w/ 1,000+
>CPE? (and there's also cable and DSL competition in town too)
>
>Even at the end of my equipment distribution days (late 2004), I had at
>least 50 customers whom I'd been working with over the years who had
>purchased over 1,000 CPE from me...I know for sure that most of these guys
>are still operating and in business
>
>If you think about it, 1,000 isn't all that much -- take a look at the
>numbers
>
>If you've been a WISP since 2001, and you've been steadily buying CPE /
>installing 20 net new customers (minus churn, etc) / month (~ 1 install /
>working day / month), in over 5 years time (e.g., today in 2006), you'd
have
>1,200 customers
>
>Nowadays, w/ $150-$200 turn-key WISP CPE pricing (Motorola, Tranzeo,
>Trango), it's hard to even buy CPE in anything smaller than a 20-pack
>
>-Charles
>
>P.S. -- now another interesting statistics is the "top-end" of the
>license-exempt operator market -- although a lot of people nowadays have
>over 1,000 CPE installed, ALMOST NONE have been able to successfully scale
>beyond the 10,000 CPE level -- still trying to figure that one out...

>CWLab
>Technology Architects
>http://www.cwlab.com

have
>gotten into license-exempt fixed wireless...
>
>-Charles
>
>P.S. - I heard a rumor that the current UL market leader, Motorola Canopy
>sold close to $100 million in gear last year alone

>CWLab
>Technology Architects
>http://www.cwlab.com

********