Mark Koskenmaki wrote:
You guys that post using this incredibly annoying bar at the left... why do you do it? It makes c onversational email impossible... Read on below. comments are prefaced with >>>>> North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!

    *From:* David Sovereen <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* WISPA General List <mailto:wireless@wispa.org>
    *Sent:* Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:37 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [WISPA] WCA Weighs In Against Net Neutrality

    I respectfully disagree and think that WCA's position of less
    regulation and allowing network operators operate their networks
    how they want is the right approach.  Net neutrality legislation
    opens the door for content companies and your subscribers to force
    open and equal access to all content on the Internet.
    subscribers having equal access to each other.   That, after
    all... IS WHAT I PROVIDE!

Not according to what you reply below. Limiting P2P and prioritizing VOIP is not equal access to all content on the Internet.

How many WISPs on this list are limiting P2P traffic separate from
    other traffic?  I'll bite... I am.
    peer to peer sharing involves HOSTING, and that I specifically
    don't generally allow.   Terms of Service has covered hosting
    forever - since long before Napster was someone's dream.

So you only limit the upload on your peer to peer traffic?

In my opinion it has everything to do with net neutrality. If VZ can't deprioritize VOIP to outside servers you why would you be able to deprioritize peer to peer traffic. Who is to say that P2P traffic is less important than VOIP?

How many WISPs on this list are prioritizing VoIP traffic separate
    from other traffic?  I'll bite.  I am.  And I only prioritize VoIP
    traffic to and from my own VoIP servers and not VoIP traffic from
    Vonage or anyone else.
    whose servers it goes to...after all,  if I can't serve my
    customer's needs, then what the heck am I?   A fraud?

Again, you are not providing equal access to the internet, you are saying that someone's VOIP traffic has a higher priority then my web traffic which in turn has a higher priority than someone else's P2P traffic. This seems pretty arbitrary to me. What if I as a provider feel that web and email are top priority over VOIP and P2P? After all I am in the business of providing internet service not voice. What if I prioritize my VOIP traffic only since it only has to make it to my NOC before it switches to POTs whereas vonage is eating my general IP bandwidth? Am I allowed to charge clients extra for dedicated VOIP prioritization?

How many WISPs on this list are filtering NetBIOS, RPC, and other
    traffic deemed malicious?  I'll bite... I am again.
    with limiting access to content.

Yes it does, you are blocking netbios and RPC, what makes them any different then VOIP or P2P or streaming video?

Another question, am I allowed to maintain a blacklist and block at my edge router? What if time warner makes it on my blacklist or vonage for some reason, can I now be fined by the FCC for not providing equal access? What about outgoing or incoming email? Do I have to allow it all?

Now the last one, I can't imagine being sued over, but I hope you
    see my point.
These controls are important for me to manage my network and
    ensure a quality of service my customers expect.
Net neutrality takes these controls away. >>>> I seriously doubt that.
Why? If the FCC can say you are not allowed to prioritize one service over another how can you have control of the traffic and utilization on your network?

Dave 989-837-3790 x 151
    989-837-3780 fax
    www.mercury.net <http://www.mercury.net>
129 Ashman St, Midland, MI 48640