George,

Regulation could not be put into effect that would define last-mile, middle mile and backbone. When I called by Congress Critter's office to ask about his position on NN, the bonehead staffer that answered the phone did not even know what that was! Most of the 500+ elected Congress Critters and many of their staffers have zero idea about technology. They can't regulate DSL one way and your private network another.

AT&T and VZ can't de-peer for another 17 months, so we have that long before it becomes imminent.

- Peter

Matt, you are right on the money and just summed it all up in that one paragraph, in my opinion.

It is true that most wisps that filter probably sell to the residential consumer market at low competitive prices. We as wisps have always understood our systems to offer a shared service. So it's in our best interest to handle our network the way we see fit. We should not be forced into any type of regulatory system that stops us from filtering, blocking or giving priority, or not to our customers.

We as last mile providers need to have the leeway, but with restrictions.

Now the middle mile, is another story.
The answer to that is NO filtering, NO blocking, NO prioritizing.
Just all of what we pay for, which is dedicated internet access without restrictions.

After all the difference between the two is business models, one is selling wholesale commercial dedicated connections and the other a retail finished product.

And it's not like we are buying a $1,000.00 connection and reselling it at a mark up. We are buying a $1,000.00 connection and reselling it for a mark down.

Hence, "over subscription". How far can we "stretch" our networks and what do we have to do to stretch it as far as we can.