I can see both sides. Since we haven't implemented the new policy
yet, we may just charge the $29.99 site survey fee if they decline
service after a successful site survey. We only charge $99 for installation
and our CPE is provided on a free-to-use basis as we are competing
against one other WISP, cable and DSL. Out of 10 site surveys, only
3 or 4 are successful due to the rolling terrain in our coverage area and
we have (17) broadcast sites! Now if we were using 900Mhz, we could
probably double our site survey success rate but fewer people would be
interested because of the cost of the 900Mhz CPE which we would have
to pass along to them in order for it to be feasible.

In a perfect world, prospects should expect to pay for an onsite site
survey because there are costs involved (labor and gas). Too bad we
don't live in a perfect world.

Hopefully unlicensed 700Mhz will become available in our lifetime and
we can avoid site surveys altogether. I wonder though if it will be less
costly than 900Mhz gear when/if that time does come?

Shannon D. Denniston, Co-Founder
KyWiFi, LLC - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
"Your Hometown Broadband Provider"
http://www.KyWiFi.com